Saturday, July 7, 2012

My sabbatical continues . . .

This sabbatical began as a one-year journey to do some things I wanted to do before I got too old to do them. But life takes funny turns and I found that I really like being a gypsy. Also, discovered that one 7-week work session at Omega was definitely not enough! Plus I have met so many other people living a similar lifestyle and making it work. If you haven't figured it out yet, I am back at the Omega Institute working in Reception and living in my beautiful new tent (thanks to my wonderful kids)! I arrived here on June 25 and will stay until October 8. I really wanted to see the fall in the Hudson River Valley, plus 7 weeks was way too short last year. This year I drove out so I could bring my bike. It is good to have it here and I have ridden twice. The hills are tough, so it will take awhile to get my strength up to ride longer. We haven't found any bike trails yet that aren't loaded with hills. Coming back to a place you love is always a concern because you know it will be different. I am happy to say that I love it here as much as ever. Maybe even more as now I know my way around and am more comfortable being here. There are many of the same people here, plus a whole batch of new faces. All the people from last year's Reception team have returned and we are so glad to all be working together again. Some of the activities I have done since arriving include canoeing, biking, yoga, gong meditation & comedy improv. Had two movie nights in Rhinebeck - hope everyone has seen, "The Exotic Marigold Hotel". There is something magical about being here. Maybe it's the peace and quiet or the kind friendly staff. We do believe you can feel the spiritual energy that makes you reflect on life. It is amazing to feel so connected to all forms of wild life here. The birds begin their morning chatter about 5:00 a.m. and I call it Omega's snooze alarm because then you know you can sleep for another hour or so. Perhaps it's realizing you need nothing more than a tent, few clothes, and a good book to make you happy. In reading a book in the library I came across this quote from Gandhi, "Live simply that others might simply live".

No comments:

Post a Comment